Aug 16 2007

Five Uplifting Days: Day 4 – Feel the Love

Published by MsQ at 1:53 pm under Personal Growth, Relationships

Today I thought I’d give you some homework to do.

Or heart-work!

I’m not referring to cardiovascular conditioning – I’m referring to working on our emotional heart.

What is the emotion we associate with the heart?

Love.

Here’s what I’d like you to do: In your mind, say, “I love you.” to every person you encounter today.

If you have the type of life where you’re encountering hoards of people, try feeling love for all of them.

I mentioned in my last post how forgiving someone will raise your energy level. When you raise your own energy level, you now have the power to positively affect the people around you. I’m sure you’ve been around people who energize you – who make you feel good when you’re around them. Wouldn’t you want to have the same affect for others?

Think about how your own energy changes when you’re with people you love. Don’t you feel positive? Aren’t you in a more positive state of mind?

Think about how you feel when you know someone loves you.

In his book, “The Power Of Intention“, Wayne Dyer describes this loving attitude towards others as a “holy relationship.”

He writes:

“One truth that I’ve recognized during the years of my own growth is that it’s impossible to know my perfection if I’m unable to see and honor that same perfection in others. The ability to see yourself as a temporary expression of intention and to see yourself in all humanity is a characteristic of the holy relationship. It’s the ability to celebrate and honor in all others, the place where we’re all one.”

When you have a holy relationship with someone you aren’t judging them or wanting to bend their will to yours. You are in a cooperative and loving state and people will generally respond positively towards you.

He continues with:

“In an unholy relationship, you see yourself as separate from others. It’s the feeling that others are primarily useful to satisfy ego’s urges, and that people are there to help you get what’s missing in life. In any kind of relationship, this attitude of separation and potential manipulation creates a barrier between you and the power of intention. The signs of unholy relationships are quite clear: People become defensive, fearful, hostile, standoffish, and don’t wish to be in your company.”

I have noticed that the more loving and understanding my attitude, the less stressed and upset I am. I don’t think that rude people are “out to get me” and I wonder at why they are so angry and upset. I’m not always successful but I try to remember that we all desire to be loved for who we are, not what we are or what we can do for someone.

If you think about it, we need others to help us. When we create holy relationships, we are creating an environment that helps us attract our desires.

Haven’t you noticed that when someone is nice and understand towards you, you want to do something nice for them?

One thing I’ve noticed is that a loving attitude has wonderful side effects.

When I begin to feel judgmental and critical of someone, I notice that my energy drops and I become tense. I wonder at my own ego-needs, why am I being so critical?

Sometimes I encounter someone really unpleasant and I try not to lower my energy to match theirs by responding in kind. Instead I try to retain a loving state and remove myself from their company as soon as possible!

Read my post, “We Are All Waiting.” I hope it helps you to see the beauty that exists in everyone.

So that’s my heart-work assignment for you today: Create a holy relationship with everyone you meet.

Try it. Feel the love.

You might like it.

You might LOVE it!

Day 4 down, 1 more to go!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

10 responses so far

10 Responses to “Five Uplifting Days: Day 4 – Feel the Love”

1. Jillon 16 Aug 2007 at 4:58 pm

I think you know, I sort of do okay on this one. If someone is directly doing something that is causing me a problem at that exact moment, then I’ll be frustrated, but my brother convinced me awhile back – most of the time when you think someone is doing something to you on purpose, being mean, going out of their way to harm you or frustrate you or irritate you somehow, it’s just not true. Most people aren’t even thinking about you much less would they be bothered to go out of their way to irritate you.

I’m probably more the opposite – I want to believe people are doing the wrong things for the right reason, or have a hard time believing *anyone* has any malice in them what so ever. I think maybe it was at work yesterday or the day before? Everyone was bemoaning some inconvenient bizarre thing a coworker or parent had done and I just laughed – “Don’t you just love people?!?! Aren’t they just the strangest creatures?!?!?”

2. MsQon 16 Aug 2007 at 5:52 pm

Jill: Yeah, from what I know of you, you do look for the best in people or take the most compassionate/understanding path. I agree with you that most people are probably NOT going out of their way to be mean.

However, I have seen a lot of petty behavior and unfortunately have done my share of it! Primarily to those closest to me. Eeeeek. We do feel free to be mean to those we love and who love us. Weird, huh? It’s because we have the power to hurt them. Strangers? They can walk away. Or they won’t be hurt by some personal barb.

But I’m sure you’ve encountered a person with little personal power using his professional power to lord it over people when he could. Back to the low self-esteem stuff!

Your brother sounds spot on in that we take a bit of “center of the universe” point of view with respect to ourselves – we think someone did something to us, ON PURPOSE when really, they have no clue and didn’t even notice. I’ve seen people cut in front of huge lines and they just had NO IDEA and then when the big line is pointed out to them, they are very embarrassed.

I remember when I was in high school and OF COURSE some dumb thing would come out of my mouth. I’d obsess about it for days and then I realized that I rarely recalled what other dumb things people said so why would they?

3. Jillon 16 Aug 2007 at 11:46 pm

I think yes, in part it’s because we have the power to hurt them but it’s not that we WANT to hurt them. It’s just because we can sort of let loose with our worst selves with those people.

It’s like when kids hold themselves together all day in school and then mom comes and suddenly they fall apart – the hurts of the day and they’re tired and they’re hungry and such and such hurt their feelings and they got made fun of at recess and on and on and on.

You could have seen the very same kid an hour before in doing math at his or her desk and never known that child was having a rotten day. But mom bears the brunt of the rotten day because the kid knows he or she is safe letting it all out for mom.

I think to a lesser extent we still do that as adults – hold it all together for the world at large & then fall apart or show our worst to those who care the most. And then of course when we show our worst, they’re the ones that care so yes, they’d end up hurt *more* than if we just fell all to pieces in the grocery store line in front of strangers. Because they care and the third guy in line at the grocery store doesn’t.

I do encounter those people trying to use whatever professional power from time to time I guess. If I recognize it for what it is, I tend to play right along to a certain extent. Why ***not*** let them feel like a big fish in a small pond? If it’s not causing a problem I’m for letting them make the most of things.

High school – I remember reading about that in child development. They said around that age people develop “an invisible audience”. They think everyone remembers every foolish thing they ever said or did. Of course, in my case it was true, because my grandfather to this day likes to tell embarrassing stories about my youth to whoever will listen. But for the most part, yeah. We feel humiliated for days. Everyone else forgot seventeen seconds later.

4. MsQon 17 Aug 2007 at 12:19 am

Jill: great observations on how children react! And yes, how true it is that we hold it all together in front of strangers and then spew out our day for the ones who care (and sometimes we take it out on them!)

“An invisible audience” I like that – that’s exactly it! When you’re a teenager, your peers are too busy worried about themselves. When it comes to grandparents – HA! They store up those humiliating nuggets of your youth and they stay stored since by the time YOU’RE an adult, their short-term memory is not that great and they can repeat all those great old stories of your misspent pratfall prone youth.

Is this grandpa your father’s father? That is your “cat or dog” calling father of your father? Hahaha! That would make sense.

Hey, were you a NERD or a GEEK or what in high school? Just curious. From what I can deduct, you sound like you may have been a bit nerdy. I was nerdy. Which of course totally explains the incredible Asian Vixenishness I exude now. According to Ricardo. Not that I mind it. Gather ye rosebuds and all that.

If you were nerdy it would explain your belly-piercing bikini-wearing, beer-holding, hot-mama self. ;-)

5. Eric "Speedcat Hollydale"on 17 Aug 2007 at 12:30 am

I will do it!

6. MsQon 17 Aug 2007 at 12:39 am

Eric: Watch out world ‘cuz SPEEDCAT is gonna FEEL THE LOVE!

Wish I could see you in action – I’m guessing that you’re gonna have a great day as well as make everyone you meet have a great day!

7. Jillon 17 Aug 2007 at 12:59 pm

Yeah, that would be the knocked out cold father of my cat/dog calling father.
    :-)

In high school…well I would described myself more as a “misfit” in high school rather than “geek”. I think the geeks hung out more in the reading lab while I (on the other hand) hung out in the art room.

I could be wrong about that though – perhaps the art room crowd was also full of geeks…in fact, signs seem to be pointing that way!
    :-)

8. Urban Thoughton 17 Aug 2007 at 4:08 pm

I tried it Ms. Q, yesterday. I should have tried it today too. But I will perform tomorrow all day as I will encounter a good 1,800 people. So we shall see.

Yesterday was something because I kept smiling and people were looking at me strange. But it’s all good.

9. MsQon 17 Aug 2007 at 5:22 pm

Jill: ah, BLOOD WILL TELL, huh? Your Paternal Line sound like a hoot! So do you take after your dad or your mom or are you just a combo-pack? I have a lot of my dad’s characteristics (temperament, appearance) but I my creative/whacky side and overall Vixenishness is all mom. Just like the word – vixenishness. I have to write some more mom stories.

Misfit? Huh. I hadn’t quite picture that, what with your PURSE but hmm, that works.

Urban Thought: I’m glad you gave it a shot!! That is so cool! It’s funny how people look at people-smiling-for-no-reason funny. I had to write that last sentence that way. I am in a very goofy mood today.

I think it’s because I’ve been working from home all week and haven’t really left or spoken to anyone! I injured my right toe last week and couldn’t even get out to run (still can’t run – ARGH) and today I had a doctor’s appt (not related to toe, will write about it today. If I can fit it in.) and I also FELT THE LOVE for everyone I saw and it was all good. It was really good.

Are you going to a concert tomorrow then?

10. Jillon 17 Aug 2007 at 8:27 pm

UT – people must look at me funny *all the time*! Most of the time I always smiling at people, even if I feel kind of down, even glaring goth guys in scary clothing in even scarier clubs…most times, not all the time, but enough of the time I think you get back what you give out.

Ms.Q – I dunno. Mixed bag maybe. I definitely have a lot of my dad in me, especially attitude-wise. When I was little and had to have a note for school he would only write things like, “Jill will not be in school on Tuesday.” When I’d beg him to put why, he’d be like, “I’m not writing *why*!!!! It’s none of their business why!”

I have a lot of my mom’s perfectionism and constant energy. Yesterday somebody goes, “M. has more energy than anyone I know!” I just about had whiplash bec. I don’t think I’ve EVER heard anyone say that about someone else besides me, & I hear my name instead of “M.” pretty consistently.

Trackback URI | Comments RSS