Nov 18 2008

I’m Baacccck! (With A Lotta Help From Some Friends)

Published by MsQ at 12:06 pm under General

A few of you who left comments on my last post may have noticed they are gone.

Well, my last post is also gone, as I had written it on my old server after my last WordPress database backup.

That backup was moved to a new home and new address!

Notice that my blog is now located at the root – qmusings.com. No more qmusings.com/blog!!

I’ve been meaning to change my blog address from the qmusings.com/blog to the root address of qmusings.com.

Steve from HMTK even sent me instructions as well as wrote a post “inspired” by all my confusion.

Steve’s helped me out quite a bit when I’ve had Technical Difficulties!

Well, I tried all that and couldn’t get it to work and then I had this new job and busy and nguh, ran outta steam.

He’s also been offering to help me move this blog and after dragging my feet due to fears that my blog would do the online version of implode, I finally started the big move.

Took me several weeks as I did backups of my WordPress database, transferred files over to the new server and studied what I could about nameservers, DNS and domain registrars.

I could probably have done this all in one weekend but again with the dragging of feet plus there was the whole implosion thing.

Part of me realized that nothing really bad could happen. I mean, I had my files backed up and I could switch things back.

Guess what stopped the dragging of the feet?

I really-really missed writing. I could have written and had a nice stockpile of posts but it wasn’t the same. I managed to survive by sending out more emails.

I’d like to thank Steve for all his help (and he’s still helping) and The Guy From My SysAd Blog.

The Guy helped explain a few things about A records and he also provided much needed moral support.

Thanks guys!!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

12 responses so far

12 Responses to “I’m Baacccck! (With A Lotta Help From Some Friends)”

1. Eric "Speedcat Hollydale"on 18 Nov 2008 at 5:45 pm

Well, I don’t understand most of that … and need to ask a question. Why do people bother with all that self hosting requires. I now some people have said that they appear more professional, but the only difference I can see is the actual URL.

I also hear that many do not like the templates that they are given to pick from, but you can grab templates anywhere … for instance, I could make my “blogger” blog look exactly like yours, with the exception of the way comment forms look.

There are also many free sites that will back up a “free blog”.

Do tell!

…. “confused in Hollydale

In other news, I hope you will have more time for posting. I miss the classic MsQ writting. How is the new job coming along? Have you settled in and found it to be a confortable home yet?
    New plants?? …. rocks?
    Hope your week is a great one. BIGGY hug for Ms. Q !!!!!!!!!!

2. MsQon 18 Nov 2008 at 6:53 pm

Speedy!! You’re the first comment on my new home! Thanks!!

Why do people bother with self-hosting? Well..more control is one thing. I also own (or rent or lease) my domain name.

Think of self hosting as a bit like owning your home instead of having a condo or a renting – no one can tell you what to do. But it’s not for everyone.

Another thing is that as much as some of the technical details flummoxed me (I tried modifying my .htaccess for a redirect so far no luck) I do have a technical background (computer science) and the techie part wanted to do it the so-called “hard way.”

I have some post ideas, just been busy and I do want to write again, that is for sure!

3. Urban Thoughton 18 Nov 2008 at 7:53 pm

Glad the migration went well. One more thing you can check off your list.

I tried e-mailing you but the e-mail bounced back. Hope all is well with you and mom.

4. MsQon 18 Nov 2008 at 8:22 pm

UT: yeah, been trying to configure email on the new server! So far my emails have been bouncing and I’m not sure why. Overall, the move went more smoothly than expected – but I’ve been getting great tech support.

5. Eric "Speedcat Hollydale"on 19 Nov 2008 at 2:22 am

Still confused … more control of what??

I can do whatever I want on my blog, or even change the code of my template in any fasion. I always get the answer of ownership from people. How does that benefit you though?

Hope this does not sound intrusive, I just really want to know. I see people buy domains for Blogger blogs too, and that really confuses me.

With a Wordpress template, you need to “buy” your way into the template … that I do understand, but I can install a wordpress template into Blogger with minor adaptations.

To my own eyes, the only blogs that ever have down time, or technical difficulties are the ones paying for them (???)

6. HMTKSteveon 19 Nov 2008 at 6:22 am

Welcome to your new home! We still have a few loose ends to tidy up but we will get you all moved in fast.

Why self-host? Security. Even though most of the free sites are not going anywhere there is a certain amount of security in knowing that you are not dependent on another’s good will. There is also the issue of some “free” providers getting angry when you pass certain bandwidth or CPU activity thresholds.

7. Eric "Speedcat Hollydale"on 19 Nov 2008 at 6:51 pm

@ HMTKSteve … makes sense.

While I have never witnessed blogger having input on bandwidth, or censorship, I truly believe that censorship and site blocking will become more prevalent in the years to come.

8. Jill/Twipply Skwoodon 19 Nov 2008 at 6:56 pm

Congrats Ms.Q! I remember you’ve been wanting to switch for a good while now!

Interesting on the self-host thing – I’d been wondering that myself, but had sort of guessed along the lines of what you said. I don’t think I could do it though. I get insulted if I have even the slightest computer problems.

9. Derek Wongon 20 Nov 2008 at 2:22 pm

I was rather wondering where you had been! Good to see that you’re back and good to go. I look forward to some fresh posts. :)

10. MsQon 20 Nov 2008 at 7:20 pm

HMTKSteve: Thanks! and thanks for your help!

Speedy!! Never used blogger – went right into self-hosting anticipating that I’d want my own home so to speak. I didn’t want all my content “owned” by someone else.

Jill:
    thanks! Nice to be set up in my new home!!

Derek: Yeah, been a long time away. I haven’t written diddly although I’ve had ideas!

11. Eric "Speedcat Hollydale"on 22 Nov 2008 at 5:29 pm

…ahhhh, NOW I completely understand. I knew there was “something” I was missing. In other words, “my words” on blogger are in affect owned by them. First time I have heard that reply.

Thanks MsQ!!!

12. esofthubon 23 Nov 2008 at 3:17 am

From personal experience, HMTKSteve comments are right on target.

Welcome back MsQ!